About Keith Smith
Hi, I'm Keith Smith. I am a freelance PHP programmer. I handcrafted this website to showcase my skills. I am not a designer so this website is not as nice, visually, as a designer might create. Below are the highlights of my long tenure as a developer. If you have a project you would like to talk to me about, please call me at 480-748-9893 or complete my Project Request Form.
- Completed an Associates's Degree in Programming.
- Completed a Bachelors's Degree in Management Information Systems and Operations Management.
- Did my first freelance computer programming job in 1988. At that time I was a desktop database programmer.
- I first surfed the web in 1996.
- Built my first website in 2000 (completely by hand).
- Became a Freelance PHP developer in 2006.
- Have used Linux as a desktop twice. The first time was in 2000 and lasted for 8 months. I and Linux were not ready for Linux as a desktop. The second time lasted about 3 years. I went back to MS-Windows because, at that time, no screen share software was fully compatible with Linux. That problem has since been resolved. I plan to return to Linux on my desktop soon.
- LAMP/LEMP developer. I am a full stack developer. I am not a designer so I do not design websites, however, I have working knowledge of HTML and Cascading Style Sheets. I am not a Linux hosting administrator, however, I have a working knowledge of Linux form a hosting perspective.
- I spent most of my time between the fall of 2007 and the fall of 2018 supporting a robust online shopping cart.
- I was responsible 24/7/365 for that shopping cart. It was an old school PHP / MySql application.
- The highlights:
- Upgraded the application from PHP4 to PHP5.
- Upgraded the payment gateway application programming interface (API).
- Brought the shopping cart into Payment Card Industry (PCI) complacence and performed the annual PCI compliance review and penetration testing (shopping cart application and the Linux hosting server).
- Rewrote the shopping cart using Object-Oriented PHP.
- Created a newsletter API to work with several 3rd party newsletter providers.
- Created a backup/recovery system.
- Configured a 3rd party monitoring system.
- Created multiple virtual hosting servers for testing.
- Evaluated the CodeIgniter PHP framework and the Drupal content management system (CMS) framework as a possible platform for upgrading that shopping cart.
- Managed 3rd party DNS.
- Managed Sender Policy Framework (SPF) in an effort to reduce bounced emails.
- Integrated the shopping cart with Amazon.
- Worked with other vendors (programmers and Linux hosting providers).
- Performed some Linux hosting administration.
My name is Keith Smith. This is my website. It was handcrafted by me as an example of my skills. It is not as beautiful as what a website designer might have been able to create, however it is clean, simple, and functional. I am not a designer, I am a programmer.
If you have a project you would like to talk to me about, please call me at 480-748-9893 or complete my Project Request Form.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.